Thursday, September 17, 2009

Demystification!!

Demystification: The term coined by PCVs for the time when site and assignment announcements are finally made. It’s kind of a big deal as the Peace Corps tells you how you will be spending the next 2 years of your life.

My Location: For security purposes, I’m not allowed to post the actual name of my site. But I am 110 southwest of Kaolack (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=kaolack,+senegal&rls=com.microsoft:*:IE-SearchBox&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7DKUS&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=Kaolack,+Senegal&ei=kr-ySrixLprAmgO9yfnPCw&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1) and just on the northern border of The Gambia.

Population: 3,500 people

My Home: I will be living with the chief of the village with a private room and semi private bathroom. Running water (meaning a spigot in the courtyard) and electricity (when it works). I’ve yet to visit my site, so I’ll update you all more once I get there in a month.

My Assignment: Work with local business owners, work with the schools to teach business classes, work with various community groups. Finally, 7-8 km away are beautiful mangroves with wildlife and lush vegetation. I have the opportunity to help turn this into a sustainable eco-tourism site if I work hard enough.


The Demystifying Process:
All 50 trainees were blindfolded and guided to their site on a large map of Senegal painted on our basketball court. After reading a summary of the site and discovering our closest PCV neighbors, I needed some time to try and process all the overwhelming information.

Next, two trainees were sent to visit a current PCV and follow them around their villages for a few days. I got to hang out with a super cool volunteer named Jessica. She works closely with women’s/youth groups in her village and also helps other volunteers around the country plan gender/youth events. Her family is adorable, especially the father who was very upset we were leaving him only after 3 days. Check out the pictures of him. Too cute!!

After leaving her village, we hung out in the region house for a couple nights. Each major region of Senegal has a safe house for volunteers to pass through. Finally, we drove back to Thies for another set of tech and language classes. One month from now, I will officially be a Peace Corps Volunteer. Wish me luck!

--
Byron Yee
Peace Corps Trainee - Senegal, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment