Monday, December 13, 2010

Another Language story

The other day, I was visiting Cail and there is a French couple staying at the same campement. My interaction with them consisted of the following conversation:

Note - This was just after a cat had killed and was eating a lizard.
Me: Euh, qu'est-ce qu'il s'appelle en français?
Femme: Le chat
Me: Non, l'autre animale.
Femme: Le lizard.

Now, those who have taken French know that "le chat" is one of the first basic vocab words learned in class. So I felt a bit dumb/insulted after this event, but my friends got a good laugh out of it.

The real question is - "Qui est le plus stupide?"
Me, for coming across as not a good french speaker? (True).
Or the lady, for assuming I'm dumb, therefore fulfilling the stereotypical French attitude towards Americans? (Also true)


--
Byron Yee
Peace Corps Volunteer - Senegal, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment