Thursday, August 13, 2009

The first days

Monday morning: I left SeaTac airport and said goodbye to my dad, struggling to hold back tears.

I arrived in Reagan National Airport and met up with my sister, Angela and her husband, Greg. We took the metro to Washington Plaza Hotel, which was a classier place than I've ever stayed in and had a wonderful dinner together.

Tuesday: All 50 PC trainees going to Senegal met for a 6 hour orientation/staging process. As overwhelming as it was, I was eager and almost relieved to finally chat with people who were going through the same experiences as me.

Wednesday: Got my Yellow Fever vaccination. It was a little nerve racking watching 49 others slowly go through the line to get their same needle puncture...Hopped on a plane from Dulles airport heading for Dakar.

Thursday: After only about 4 hours of collective sleep on an airplane, we arrived in Dakar. We were immediately greeted by the PC Senegal staff and then took a 2 hour bus ride to Thies, our training center. The site is beautiful: electricity, running water, AND wifi...I'll post pictures soon, I promise.

As for now, its 9pm in Senegal and I'm finally exhausted after my day of travel and other fun things. A bientot!


--
Byron Yee
Peace Corps Trainee - Senegal, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment