Sunday, May 23, 2010

Gamou: Round II

I yet again was able to experience Gamou (The birthday of the Prophet Muhammed), but locally this time. Similarly to Tivauouane, lots of people, lots of food (including delicious meat), and lots of praying. I actually did not experience much of this event other than a very late lunch (4:15pm) and an even later dinner (10pm). After eating dinner, I managed to sneak into my room for the rest of the night when the main events were actually starting.

Apparently our local marabou and other special guests came to pray and conduct Koranic lessons. I woke up occasionally to the sound of prayers, loud feedback, and honking horns. The next morning, most of the 200 people had left and that was that.


--
Byron Yee
Peace Corps Volunteer - Senegal, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment