Thursday, November 5, 2009

Mice!!

No, they’re not cute house pets. Yes, they are small and yes, they are incredibly fast. Every morning I can hear them scurrying in the ceiling above my room, and they conveniently poop in the same two places every day.

I made my first trip to the local market and bought my first rat poison. I made a delicious mix of bread, peanut butter, and poison for my friends. After 24 hours, two of the baits were taken.

The Result: I still see mouse poop every day, but no longer see them in my room. While this poison might not have been 100% effective, it did manage to kill a handful of ants and cockroaches as well. Currently, I and the mice are at a peaceful coexistence. Another volunteer (Jessica) told me she woke up in the middle of the night to a mouse chewing on her finger. “It could be worse” is my daily motto…

--
Byron Yee
Peace Corps Volunteer - Senegal, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment