Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Eco Tourism Conference in Dakar

Dec 2-6:Ecotourism conference in Dakar

As this was my first time Dakar, getting there was an adventure in itself. But 9 hours on two buses, some public transportation, and a phone call to another PCV saying I was lost got me my site okay.

EcoT conference: For a few days, we networked with other local tourism companies from Senegal and the Gambia. I conversed about our work in English, French, and Wolof. Gambians speak wolof and English, Senegalese speak Wolof and French, and French people speak...duh. Glad to know my 3 languages I speak are all in demand.

Also, in our spare time, we were able to explore parts of Dakar. It is a big, developped, and expensive place to be. In fact, Dakar seems juxtaposed to the rest of the country. After being there for a few days, I was very ready to get back to my quiet village life.

Lucky me: The trip back to my site was only 8 hours.

--
Byron Yee
Peace Corps Volunteer - Senegal, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment