Sunday, December 27, 2009

Santa Clause is coming...to Senegal

First off, Santa Clause is referred to in French as "Pere Noel"

For the first time in my life, I played Santa Clause. There is an infant school program in my town and each year it is traditional to have a PCV play Pere Noel for the Christmas party. I'm not your traditional fat man in a jolly red suit, but a santa hat, an oversized robe, cotton and glue made a decent rendition. My site mate Cassie made a wonderful "Mere noel"

The school also magically acquired a fake snowy tree, complete with blinking lights, and a picture of Santa Clause and a reindeer someone colored with markers. It was humble, but charming and definitely put me in the right mood. And as with all Senegalese parties, it involved plenty of food for us to snack on.

Pere Noel can also dance to Senegalese music. Who knew?

--
Byron Yee
Peace Corps Volunteer - Senegal, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment