Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Why Saving Water is Important

For about 5-6 days, the pump to our water tower was broken. So the robines (spicketts) to the entire town were out of commission.

Luckily there are numerous wells scattered about. For the first time in my life, I pulled water from a well and also carried buckets of water on my head. Both activities proved to be difficult and exhausting. But it's all part of my goal to slowly become a Senegalese person. But I'm able to live off of about 1.5 buckets of water/day for bathroom, shower, drinking, etc.

For the first 2 days it was inconvenient, but after that well trip just become a part of life. I'm thankful to have running water, even sporadically, at my site. Other volunteers and certainly other Senegalese are still living without electricity or running water.

--
Byron Yee
Peace Corps Volunteer - Senegal, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment