Sunday, January 17, 2010

Byron’s First Work Project

Finally, after months of meet and greet, I was able to begin my first small work project: Accounting. My friend, Sedou Kounta, owns a small boutique and I have begun teaching him very simple accounting so we can keep track of his sales and therefore adjust his business strategies accordingly.

The Challenge: During our first lesson, I learned that he is literate in Arabic only, NOT French. So his accounting table reads from right to left vs. my table which is the opposite. Not a huge problem; I’ve been taught to be flexible and work in ways that are comfortable for people here. I’m sure the IRS wouldn’t agree to the non-GAAP methods (if you don’t know that acronym, you’re not a business nerd). But it’s a small start towards a very large concept.

Wish me luck as I’ve been praying for legitimate work for quite awhile.

--
Byron Yee
Peace Corps Volunteer - Senegal, 2009

1 comment:

  1. Congrats, Byron! This should be fun for you...time to put on your business hat. And you know, all the work you do is legitimate! ;) (but I know what you mean).

    ReplyDelete