Sunday, January 17, 2010

Seereer: Byron’s 4th language

Because 3 languages just isn’t enough, I went to a nearby volunteer’s site for a 3 day crash course in Seereer. It was an intense, overwhelming, but fun experience where I gleaned most of the grammatical structures and a little vocab of this language. In my town, I’m greeted everyday in about 5 different languages. I figured it was only polite to try to learn enough to greet them back properly.

Yes my head is swimming and a bit confused, but when you’re immersed in an environment where multiple languages are present, it’s easier to learn/practice. Every morning I study my notes and I have identified some neighbors who are patient enough to converse with me.

I also have a Seereer friend who wants to learn English. So we agreed that he’ll speak to me in Seereer and I’ll slowly teach him English. My goal is to make sure to speak in Wolof, French, and Seereer a little everyday to keep up with all of them…Wish me luck.

--
Byron Yee
Peace Corps Volunteer - Senegal, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment