Saturday, January 30, 2010

A Very Special Ceremony

About 3 weeks ago, my little brother was circumcised – he’s about 6 years old…ouch. When visiting him later in the day of his tragic operation, I was relieved to hear the “cut” was made by an official doctor.

Just this past Monday, he had his “going out party” when he was officially released from being on bed-rest at my grandma’s house. I was able to attend this special occasion in the morning. A loud, but soothing murmur of Arabic prayers and reading of the Koran was produced from a group of about 25 men, including my father and the local Maribou. After about 30 minutes of prayer, lax (Senegalese porridge) was served and rapidly eating. My little brother is now back in our compound, causing his usual trouble, but in good and safe health.

And so little Zignior, congratulations and best of luck in this brave new world. May you thrive and flourish among us real men and the jungle of headless snakes…

--
Byron Yee
Peace Corps Volunteer - Senegal, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment