Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Let's Build a Mosque!

I doubt it had an exclamation point when my dad announced yet another community work day to build our local mosque....But, fun updates:

1. This will eventually become a Grand Mosque, the biggest one in all of Karang. Appropriately it will be located at the origins of our town. They also said it should be finished before I leave.

2. This work day was much more exciting as it involved cementing the rooftop. Realize that all building work in Senegal is DONE BY HAND. I'm a little more sympathetic of the guys that worked on Notre Dame now. Today was a lot of fun and I had a great time. I was also excited to get involved in some community service (because clearly my entire Peace Corps Service isn't quite enough).

Hey! Have you ever caught a flying bucket filled with cement and gravel with one hand while standing 15cm from the edge of a mosque wearing flip-flops?! The OSHA would certainly not approve - nor would my mom...

Sorry, no pictures. I was a little preoccupied ;)


--
Byron Yee
Peace Corps Volunteer - Senegal, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment