Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Vacation Part I - Paris

Just came back from a fantastic 15 day trip through France and Italy with my best friend, Nina. These blog posts attempt to give you all a quick recap of my linguistic, cultural, and gastronomic adventures.

First stop: Paris!
I flew from Dakar overnight to Paris and met up with miss Nina Jean Painter who had already been visiting her host family for a week. We spent about 5 days in Paris, visiting several museums, churches/cathedrals, and of course the Eiffel Tower.

Food: I officially satisfied my huge craving for crepes, wine, and other delicious things that are either unavailable or unaffordable in Senegal.

Birthday Celebrations: How cool would it be to spend your birthday in Paris on the Eiffel Tower? Well Nina was lucky and was able to do just that. We had a great dinner and a very chilly and windy time on the big tower.

Finally, I guess I didn't completely escape Senegal, as I ran into some vendors and chatted with them in Wolof. They were too surprised and confused to see an American tourist in Paris speaking their local tongue to have much of a conversation, but it was still fun...

--
Byron Yee
Peace Corps Volunteer - Senegal, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment