Monday, October 10, 2011

As Seen On TV

Last week, my dad was in DC for business. He happened to have a taxi driver who was from the Gambia, Senegal's little neighbor and just 20 minutes from where I lived while in the Peace Corps. Wanting to make casual conversation my father mentions, "my son was in the Peace Corps in Senegal and speaks Wolof."

Taxi Driver responds "That's the language I speak and I saw your son on TV!"

Back in March 2011, I was a featured volunteer on a documentary about PCVs in Senegal. Well, this video spread to every part of the globe where Senegalese and Gambians live. DC was one of those places. My dad's coworker told the taxi driver "Congratulations, you just met the father of a famous PCV."  I'm not sure who was more excited about this encounter, my dad or the taxi man.

Personally, I'm sad I missed out on this moment. I miss speaking a language I can hold a decent conversation in - and funny enough, Wolof is one of them. Taximan, if you happen to stumble upon my blog (which is certainly a random possibility), Jamm ak jamm.

--
Byron Yee
TEFL English Teacher - Shenzhen, China

No comments:

Post a Comment