Friday, October 14, 2011

Exploring around town

Two nights ago I went for a little evening stroll after dinner. This is a twofold operation: 1) Exercise, 2) Entertainment walking by shop after shop blasting Chinese techno and overly bored store employees attempting to attract customers by dancing and clapping off beat.

(BTW, do you know how difficult it is to clap and dance OFF the beat of techno music?! I mean, I know I'm the son of a music teacher, but still...)

During my exploratory walk, I discovered two new awesome things that my town has. First, there's a sweet arcade! I remember when I used to think arcades were super cool (no - not two nights ago) and they had Tekken 2 come out. Well, we have Tekken 6 here now and that's just too much ass-kickery for me to handle right now.

Speaking of kicking butt, the other awesome discovery was at my local book store. They see nun-chucks next to the monthly planners. Only in China... But seriously, as neat and high tech as the Nook is, Barnes and Noble could really reach a huge untapped market segment if they put nun-chucks on their shelves too. For reals, guys! I'm talking about a 3rd of the world's population here. And did I mention that their nun-chucks?!

--
Byron Yee
TEFL English Teacher - Shenzhen, China

No comments:

Post a Comment