Friday, April 9, 2010

Independence Day !

Sunday, April 4th proved even busier as this was also the 50th anniversary of Senegal’s independence.

There was a small parade in my town, which I unfortunately missed due to our church service. But after the service, we all watched the grand parade in Dakar on TV. I had no idea there were so many military forces in Senegal…Also, Senegalese drill teams are way cooler than US drill teams. Sorry America, but these girls certainly know how to drum and dance.

There have been a handful of parties, dances, and concerts throughout the weekend. I missed most of it, mainly due to exhaustion and the unwillingness to stay up ridiculously late. Also, a Chinese-American volunteer in Senegal is bizarre enough without making a scene on the dance floor. Which I tend to do, anywhere in the world…

--
Byron Yee
Peace Corps Volunteer - Senegal, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment