Thursday, January 20, 2011

Lost in an African Forest

Yesterday,

I went to visit a new PCV in my area (Thanks Em!). The visit was fantastic and a lot of fun. The bike ride back home? Less fun...

Hobbits can tell you that a shortcut also leads to a longer road. Confirmed.

Within 20 minutes, I lost the sand road I was following, biked through some rice fields, and ended up in the forest. Oops. But I finally found a village again and got pointed in the right direction.

8 villages and 3 hours and 15min later, I finally made it home. Unfortunately, it was after dark, but fortunately before hyenas come out. Next time, I'm taking the paved roads, even though its a "longer trip"

As always, so sorry to frighten you, mom, but I swear aside from fatigue, dehydration, and some cuts and scraps, I'm ok ;)

--
Byron Yee
Peace Corps Volunteer - Senegal, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment