Thursday, April 14, 2011

A slice of life

Just wanted to share my morning with you

My ride from town into Kaolack today was a bit uncomfortable as there were 5 adults and 1 child squished into a bench that should seat 4 max. One butt cheek was not technically sitting, but this same cheek was actually more comfortable than its left half which was sitting on a very painful metal bar. At least the fat woman next to me wasn't smelly or mean, but still fat...

Upon my arrival into the big city, I spotted The Naked Man. Who is this character? He's literally a man in Kaolack, who walks around the garage and gas station naked. No, this country does not have a new wave of nudism entering its culture, its just that both the Senegalese and Americans have no idea (or lack the courage) to confront this man about his lack of clothing or material possessions - but that's not to say he isn't "well endowed"

After 2 taxis and another car, I finally made it into Dakar. I was very tired, dehydrated, and hungry. But all those issues can be solved with a power nap, a few chugs of local tap water, and a mystery meat sandwich bought from a random vendor on the street...

--
Byron Yee
Peace Corps Volunteer - Senegal, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment