Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Welcome to Sha Jing Middle School

Last Friday, I was informed that I should attend a meeting for new teachers to the school. Okay, no sweat...

NOT quite true. All 26 of us had to introduce ourselves, which isn't a big deal - unless you DON'T speak Chinese. That was probably the poorest public speaking performance ever. But people know that I'm the foreign teacher, so they were all rather patient and understanding. Then the headmaster said "now we're going out to dinner!"

Now, a dinner banquet party in China is exactly that - a giant feast and party. I've been raving about the good Chinese food, but I spoke too soon. Actually, I didn't eat a whole lot as we were all busy giving and receiving toasts in the name of anything to sip more hard Chinese liquor. I lost count after 3 shots. I lost the ability to count after 5. But I somehow managed to hold my own; it helped that 22 of the 26 new teachers were skinny girls. That night was by far the most fun I've had in this country. So here's to a fun new community and a great cultural integration.

BTW, that whole "Asian glow" thing is totally real (luckily not for me). If you don't know what I'm referring to, buy an Asian friend a beer and time how many minutes it takes before they are beet red.

--
Byron Yee
TEFL English Teacher - Shenzhen, China

No comments:

Post a Comment