Saturday, July 23, 2011

5 strange things about the first 5 days back in America

After being back in the US for a few days, there are things that seem totally normal, and other things that are seemingly mindless, yet are very strange to me.

1. Auto flush toilets: I literally jumped off the seat mid-poop out of fright and confusion. Then I proceeded to be further confused by a full roll of toilet paper next to the toilet. What is that stuff for?

2. US Coins: What are those strange shiny objects I just got back from the cashier? Why are they a different weight, size, and shape? How does one determine the value of them?

3. Electric Outlets: Oh my, there are several outlets in one room! But why don't sparks flight out or why do I not feel 220V of current running through my arm when I plug something in?

4. Kitchen Pantry: Forget the supermarket, an American pantry has an overwhelming selection of snacks. So much food, so little time...

5. Cars: Wait, I don't have to push start the car, then run and jump into my seat when I need a ride? And I get a whole seat to myself?! I love this place.

--
Byron Yee
Peace Corps Volunteer - Senegal, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment