Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Travel Stories in America

Well, as frustrating and angry I've been over the past two years when meetings and deadlines are respected, there are times when being overly punctual can hurt as well.

The homeward bound story:
Flight 1 from Dakar to Casablanca: Fine. No problems, no issues.

Flight 2 - Casablanca to JFK: Also great. Except that I was sitting next to a 20 month year old and walked out of the airplane with my pants and shoes plastered with Dora the Explorer stickers. Also, the girl in the seat in front of me pooped her pants during the flight.

Flight 3 - Missed. Our 2nd plane landed in time, but stayed on the runway until it could dock at the terminal. Add that hour of time to the waiting for immigration, customs, baggage claim, more lines...I was not able to make my 3rd flight and had to wait another 12 hours before the next flight left to Seattle.

So me and the JFK airport had a cozy little sleep over that night. I wouldn't be a good Peace Corps Volunteer if:
a. I had $127.00 (plus tax) to spend on a hotel room.
b. I was not capable of sleeping anywhere at any given point in time.

Also, I happened to have a travel pillow and travel towel (aka blanket), so life was just fine. Unfortunately, the guard in Morocco confiscated my toothpaste, which I would have really liked using.

But a hot cup of Starbucks coffee and a McDonald's Big Mac never tasted better in my life.

Well, 36 hours after leaving Dakar, I'm finally home. First task: shower, Second task: laundry, Third task: Sleep. More updates from the home front coming soon...

--
Byron Yee
Peace Corps Volunteer - Senegal, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment