Friday, July 15, 2011

Peace Corps: The Final Days

Dear friends across the world,

My t shirts are no longer clothing, my pants are no longer patchable, my feet are bloody and bruised, my eyes are dry, sandy, and yellow colored, and I haven't showered or changed my clothes for the past 3 days. Granted those last two were totally in my control to fix, my point is that I'm very tired and very much ready to come home. And yet, despite my empty stomach's heavy craving for a beefy American burger and a slurpee from 7-11, my heart is very full of life.

36 hours ago, I said farewell to my friends and family who so readily and eagerly accepted a strange and confused American into their community. 36 hours later, I'm still very much, if not more so now, a strange and confused American. Yet the past 2 years of my life have been the happiest, saddest, most challenging, and most rewarding moments ever. Now the final countdown begins as I'm wrapping up the last few reports, tests, and forms before flying back to a country I used to call "home." The USA will always be home for me, but not in a singular or sole sense. Senegal has taught me so many very valuable life lessons, many of which I'm eager to share with you all.

I'll be flying home July 18th, and have tried my best thus far not to countdown and maintain a solid attitude. I'll then be in Seattle for 2 weeks before heading to a very different and much more personal adventure in China. I hope to see you all when I'm back, but please be patient as I've been an expatriate now for 23 months. In the meantime, please wish me the best of luck and the smoothest of transitions out of West Africa. Anytime you throw your heart and soul into something, it's difficult to tear yourself away from. My blood, sweat, and tears (yes literally) will forever be in Senegal. So please, be patient with me.

With much peace and joy,

--
Byron Yee
Peace Corps Volunteer - Senegal, 2009

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your service Byron and for supporting Garrison in his first year. I'll miss your great posts and the knowledge that Garrison has a good friend close by. Go forward with the knowledge that you have done well. Enjoy China and let me know your email so if I am in China soon I can conncect. Be well, keep doing good.

    ReplyDelete