Friday, July 29, 2011

Variety

One of the most amazing and outstanding things about America is variety. Both breadth and depth.

For example:
- Meat: All animals, all in various packages and combinations. You can even get a whole pack of chicken drumsticks! That versus - 1 sheep killed this morning, first come first serve.
- Beer: I just went to Seattle to a place that has 150 beers on tap. WHAT?! My choices in Senegal were "watery and gross" or "more watery and more gross"
- Shampoo: This morning in the shower, I decided to go for the Body Booster instead of Sleek and Shiny. And I was just getting used to the fact that I found a bar of soap (1 of 4 choices) that both smelled good and was antibacterial.

Choices are great, but also extremely overwhelming. I'm still at the point where I stare at a menu in awe, then finally ask the waiter for a recommendation.

--
Byron Yee
Peace Corps Volunteer - Senegal, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment