Saturday, October 17, 2009

The end of PST!

Finally, after 9 long and intensive weeks, Pre-Service Training (PST) is finished!

Final Test: I scored Intermediate-High on my final Wolof test. Now my Wolof is better than my French, and slowly catching up to my English...

Goodbyes: Sadly, I had to say goodbye to my wonderful family. They were given gifts, souvenirs from Seattle, and a thank you card which included the words "Dingeen neek ci sama xol tuusurs" (You will always be in my heart). I cried, they cried - it was a bitter sweet moment. A very special thanks to my family for taking tremendous care of me.

Party!! The PC training center had a celebration a few days later. We each invited one family member, there was lots of food, a Pulaar music/dance group, a large group of Grios drummers, AND a DJ. Senegalese sure know how to party.

*Pictures coming soon....


As a final farewell, selective family members got up and spoke about the PC trainees in their villages. Here's what my older sister, Diek, had to say:

"Gora [Byron] was a wonderful addition to our family. He was patient, polite, funny; we had zero problems with him. Gora has a lot of heart and passion, he is more dedicated and commited to my family than some of my own children."

I hope and pray that my new family will be as kind and terrific as my training family. To the Mbaye family, I was honored to be one of your sons. Thank you.

--
Byron Yee
Peace Corps Trainee - Senegal, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment