Sunday, October 4, 2009

Korite!

Korite: A holiday celebrating the end of Ramadan, the month long fast.

Korite is determined by a new moon, so it was not announced until the night before. The night before Korite, the entire town/city was out in the market buying food, clothes, and the salon next door to my room was braiding hair until 4am. I slept well, but am very familiar with the Senegalese singer they were blasting through the night...

I woke up and discovered a goat being slaughtered by my brothers. I helped a little, which was fun. Pictures on uploaded, but WARNING! Goats are bloody. But seriously, I've never had fresher, tastier meat. http://picasaweb.google.com/thebyronyee/KoriteGoatSlaughterWARNINGItSBloody#


After a ridiculously huge and wonderful lunch, the all of the kids in the town dress up and ask for thanksgiving (money) from others.

Evening: I had a special boubou made for the occassion. I'm not gonna lie, I looked GOOD. For pictures of pretty (and living) creatures that have not been slaughtered, click here: http://picasaweb.google.com/thebyronyee/KoriteTheCelebration#


Now that Ramadan is over, life has changed. People are no longer cranky, hungry, and terribly dehydrated all day long. We eat a fairly big lunch meal in the late afternoon. And dinner is served closer to 8pm instead of 10pm. Overall, it works out much better with my schedule.

Next year, my goal is to fast the entire month with my family. Wish me luck (and good health).
--
Byron Yee
Peace Corps Trainee - Senegal, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment