Monday, November 14, 2011

Super Singles Night!

In Chinese, the number 11 looks like bare sticks, which also translates close to the word "single." (光棍节)  So on November 11, all the single people in China celebrated at local clubs, bars, and restaurants.

This year was especially important as it fell on the 11th year of the 11th month, and the 11th day (11.11.11). Hence, the super single holiday of the century. I being one of the millions was invited to go to a local karaoke joint and mix with other cute singles. And that I did.

The girls were very surprised at my wonderful ability to sing English songs. They were even more surprised at my complete LACK of ability to speak Chinese. So, our flirting and mingling was limited to our bilingual skills. But anytime I can socialize and practice my Chinese, I consider this a successful outing. Throw some very cute girls into that mix and I consider this a VERY successful outing :)

Happy Singles Day world! The rest of you married people can shove it ;)

--
Byron Yee
TEFL English Teacher - Shenzhen, China

No comments:

Post a Comment