Sunday, November 6, 2011

Why Chinese Cars are Cooler

So, you may have already known that Karaoke is a really big thing in this and other Asian cultures. But allow me to give you a perspective on just how popular this is.

On almost every block in the big cities, there is a KTV or karaoke bar. And in every alley where there's a TV and a microphone, people set up their own personal shows. But it gets better...

The other night I was taking my evening walk for the purpose of people watching and entertainment. And sure enough, both of my evening walk goals were fulfilled. I passed by a sporty looking car blasting music - nothing unusual there. But what was interesting was the even louder and slightly off-key singing coming from inside the car. I personally never thought about this, but since cars already have an dash board display for gps and car maintenance, why not add a microphone and turn it into a mobile karaoke machine? Brilliant!

I was so excited, I almost knocked on the window to ask the dude if I could join him, but I didn't want to invade his personal privacy. Then again, if you have karaoke built into your car, I don't think these types of people are too self conscious...

--
Byron Yee
TEFL English Teacher - Shenzhen, China

No comments:

Post a Comment